Monday, June 9, 2008

Reading and Writing Poetry

How do you revise your poems?

Right now, take out all the poems you have written and read them.

Ask yourself:
"Is my poem focused on one topic, event, or person?"
"Is there rhythm to my poem?"
"Are the lines and stanzas properly placed?"
"Did I use imagery and paint a picture using all the senses?"
"Did I use strong verbs and did I get rid of unnecessary words?"
"Did I use proper punctuation and spelling?"

When you can say yes to all those questions, your chances of having a good poem is very good.

If you are having trouble deciding what to do, ask a partner to listen to your poem and give you some suggestions. Use a thesaurus if you're stuck on words.

See me if you need any further help. To celebrate let's combine the poems into a booklet.



No comments: