Monday, May 19, 2008

Everyone is a Poet

What are the different kinds of poetry?

Poetry takes all different sizes, shapes and forms. There's haiku, tanka, quatrain, cinquain, limericks, odes, free verse, and narrative poems to name a few.

After looking at examples of these different types of poems, pick one or two and imitate its format. Copy down the formula from the worksheets I'm handing out.

An example is as follows: Haiku is a form of unrhymed poetry that started in Japan. Each three lined poem has a special syllable pattern-
line 1 - 5 syllables - Gentle raindrops fall
line 2 - 7 syllables - Against my tiny window
line 3 - 5 syllables - Telling me it's spring.

If someone writes haiku poetry for you, you are to write a tanka poem in return. This is part of oriental tradition. Tanka form is very much like haiku, but it has two more lines.
line 1 - 5 syllables - I went on a hike
line 2 - 7 syllables - To see the heart of the woods
line 3 - 5 syllables - I met the wildlife
line 4 - 7 syllables - And called each tree by its name
line 5 - 7 syllables - One day I hope to return

These are two forms of poetry, but you can choose any form you wish. See me if you have any problems.




No comments: