Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reading and Writing Poetry

How do we turn our metaphors and similes into poems?

Review the similes and metaphors you used to describe yourself.

When you described yourself as weather, you might have written, "I'm like a sunny day." Now you can write, "I glow and bring warmth to all who meet me." Continue to change your similes into metaphors. Use descriptive words that appeal to your senses.

When you get to your list of metaphors, you might have written, " I'm a bass drum."
Now write, "I beat to the sound of roaring thunder." If you write all your similes and metaphors down, you'll see you have written poetry about yourself.

Check the rhythm and the meter. Is there any rhyme? Was there repetition? Was there any alliteration? Share it with a friend. Have them use the poetry checklist and work on your poems together.

If you're still having problems, come see me during class and I'll look at your similes and try to give you some ideas. You really are able to write very lovely and moving poems.

For homework, edit for spelling and punctuation and complete a final draft.

No comments: